Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Father's Business (Luke 2:49)

I'm reading through Luke in 26 days. Today is day #3 and we are reading chapter two.

Scripture: Luke 2:49
"But why did you need to search?" he asked. "Didn't you know that I must be in my Father's house?"

Observation:
Jesus seems so surprised by the fact that they searched for Him for three days. It's as if He said, I'm the Son of God! Where else would you look for a father's son, but in the father's house.  Why wouldn't you come to God's house to find me?  Amazing.

Application:
This verse really stood out to me because it is the first recorded words of Jesus, my King and my Savior.  I really wanted to just pull them out of the pages and hide them in my heart!  I researched this verse and though the NLT version says "my Father's house", the KJV says "about my Father's business".  I think this is the more accurate of the two translations because the literal Greek translation is "in or at My Fathers", which is to say in His Father's affairs or business.  And shouldn't that apply to me as well?  Am I not the daughter of Jehovah God? Redeemed by the blood of the lamb?  So when people look for me, should I not always be about my Father's business?  But what does that look like for me: NJ Housewife, mother of four kids, wife to a great husband, knitter, blogger, daughter, sister? How can I be about my Father's business?  Well, in my researching this verse, I came across a sermon by C. H. Spurgeon in which he addressed this question:

"Says one, "How can I do God's business? I have no talent, I have no money; all I earn in the week I have to spend, and I have scarce money enough to pay my rent. I have no talent; I could not teach in a Sunday-school." Brother, have you a child? Well, there is one door of usefulness for you. Sister, you are very poor; no one knows you, you have a husband, and however drunken he may be, there is a door of usefulness for you. Bear up under all his insults, be patient under all his taunts and jeers, and you can serve God, and do God's business so." "But, sir I am sick, it is only to-day I am able to get out at all; I am always on my bed." You can do your Master's business, by lying on a bed of suffering, for him, if you do it patiently. The soldier who is ordered to lie in the trenches, is just as obedient as the man who is ordered to storm the breach. In everything you do you can serve your God. Oh, when the heart is rightly tuned in this matter we shall never make excuses, and say, "I cannot be about my Father's business." We shall always find some business of his to do." (Read full sermon HERE)


Prayer:
Father God, help me to be about Your business in ALL that I do.  In the small everyday tasks (laundry, dishes, picking up) and in the bigger purpose of my life (being a godly wife, mother, and sister), let me do it all for Your glory.  In Jesus name, Amen.









If you'd like to leave a comment, please visit Growing P31 Woman on Facebook: Click here